Sunday 15 June 2014

IBB Finally Opens Up: June 12 Election Was Free and Fair



After the annulment of the June 12 elections by former President Ibrahim Badamasi Babangida,
I have always wondered about two things after the annulment of the June 12 elections.

1. Why did IBB annul that election, I mean the real reason, not all these our speculations?
2. What would have happened to Nigeria if IBB had not stepped down when he did?
When I focus on question number, I have no choice than to be grateful to him. That would have been the worse evil he could have imposed on our dear country Nigeria.

So each time he grants an interview  I rush to read hoping to get answers to my question, so far no good has come out of my expectations.



In this interview with LEADERSHIP he at least admits that the June 12 elections was free and fair.

He stated the reason the June 12, 1993,presidential election was widely regarded as the freest and fairest in the country’s political history: he said it was due to the fact that comprehensive civic responsibility education of potential voters was done.

“So, it shows you that credible, free, fair election is doable because during our time those who participated in the election were Nigerians; the same Nigerians are still alive. So I think it is doable; it’s a good lesson that we should carry along.”

On his feeling about June 12 election as the freest and fairest despite the fact it was annulled, the ex-Nigerian leader said, “I feel really elated, I feel good because the elections were conducted during my leadership as an undemocratically elected president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria.”

Asked whether he has any regret for the annulment of the June 12 election, he said:
“It depends. I superintended that election — if I should put it that way. Everything to do with the election; the structure that time, because I was the president that time and I have no way but to accept the full responsibility for what happened. I accept the full responsibility for conducting the best election and I also accept the responsibility that it was annulled.”


Speaking exclusively to LEADERSHIP at his hilltop mansion in Minna, Niger State, the retired general further explained that people were motivated to perform their duty to their country by giving them the assurance that their votes would count during the June election.
“I think we did the best we could at that time to carry along everybody by educating everybody to do their civic responsibility, that they have to be part of it, their vote will count and all that, before going into the election. I think they have been motivated to play their duty to this country,” he said.

He said the same free, fair and credible elections could be replicated in 2015 if there would be commitment to educating the people to understand their civic responsibilities.

On what he wishes to see in Nigeria’s next elections, the former head of state said, “I think I look forward to see free, fair, credible and rancour-free, peaceful election in 2015 — commitment to the votes of the country, commitment to the well-being of the country and commitment to everything that is good for this country.




Be Sociable, Please share

No comments:

Post a Comment

RELATED POSTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers