Wednesday 26 March 2014

What Boko Haram Did to Us in their Camp – Female abductees










As reported on BBC:
Two women abducted by Boko Haram insurgents in the North-East have given a rare account of what life was for them as captives in the camp of the dreaded sect.

While one of the lady who was held captive for about 15 days, said she had a marriage proposal from one of the Boko Haram militants, the other said she was almost turned into a killer.
“They were slitting people’s throats with knives. Both women and men were killed, especially the men who didn’t agree to fight for them. Those that tried to escape were shot but they hardly ever used their guns to kill. They usually used knives. About 50 people were killed right in front of me.” 


“They asked me if I am Christian or Muslim. I said I am a Christian.”
Said 23-year-old Liatu, as she recounted her ordeal in the hands of the Boko Haram sect to the BBC.




 “On the 11th day (in captivity), they brought a man to me and said that he liked me and that I should convert to Islam so that he can marry me,” she added in the report published by the BBC on Monday.

Liatu claimed that in Sambisa Forest, Borno State, where she was taken to after being seized at a roadblock last year, she witnessed the killing of 50 persons by the insurgents.

According to her, the insurgents, who had earlier killed Muslims employed by the government, preferred to use knives to slit peoples’ throats than shooting them.

Liatu also told the BBC that the terrorists were usually tipped off about any imminent attack by the army.

This, she claimed, allowed the militants to hide in caves and forests close to the Cameroonian border.

Liatu, who refused to eat anything during her days in captivity, added that after being told about the proposed marriage, she made an extremely risky escape.

She said, “One of the captives stood up and said, ‘You only die once. Who is ready to make a run for it?’ Six of us jumped into one of the Boko Haram vehicles in the camp – a Volkswagen Golf.

“They chased us on motorbikes, shooting at the car until we got close to Bama town. Then they left and we got out of the car to continue on foot as there was a curfew in place. It was only then that I realised the three people on the backseat had all been shot dead.”

Just like Liatu, 19-year-old Janet, said she witnessed the slaughtering of people by the militants.

“They went to Gwoza and brought five people to the camp. They started slaughtering them in front of me,” said Janet, who was in the insurgents’ den for three months.

At a point, she said the insurgents ordered her to slit the throat of one of the captured people but she refused.

“Then they ordered me to slit one of their throats. I refused. I told them I couldn’t do it. Then the wife of the leader of the group killed him instead.” Janet said.

She said she recognised the faces of the men who held her captive as most of them came from her area. Janet said, “I knew almost all the people in the group I was with. I knew them from my home area.

“I was really angry and when I couldn’t keep quiet any longer, I said to one of them, ‘When we were at home you would even visit me and I respected you. So why are you doing this to me'?”
Ladies are being killed and others used as séx slave in the jungle. Nigerian soldiers really need to do more.

No comments:

Post a Comment

RELATED POSTS

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Followers