Sunday, 23 March 2014

TRAGEDY: Generator Fume Wipes Out Family Of Three In Rivers State

It was tragic at the Elekahia community in Port Harcourt City local government area of Rivers State when a man, his pregnant wife and a little boy died after inhaling poisonous generator fume.

An eyewitness told LEADERSHIP Sunday that the man whose name could not be ascertained as at the time of filing this report, put on a big generator set at the corridor of his apartment before they went to bed.

According to an eyewitness, the fume from the generator suffocated the man, his pregnant wife and their little child.

Speaking to newsmen on the incident, the landlord of the apartment, Mr Chikason Boms, said the victims put on the generator close to their bedroom where there was no ventilation.

Boms stated that they saw four persons lying on the ground when they entered the apartment, adding that the wife of the deceased was still breathing when they got into the house.

He said; "When we got there, I discovered that the deceased’s big generator set was on and very close to their bedroom where there was no ventilation. Two persons were dead already while we took the remaining

person to Braithwaite Memorial Hospital, Port Harcourt. The doctors on duty did not respond to the emergency situation at that point, if not, that woman would have survived. We waited for too long before they could attend to us but the woman passed on."

The landlord stated that the only survivor of the incident was a 17-year-old girl who was living with the victims.

A nurse at the hospital, who pleaded anonymity, confirmed the incident to LEADERSHIP Sunday, saying that a man, his pregnant wife and a little boy were brought to the hospital as early as 5am yesterday.

She said three of the victims died before help could come their way, adding that the hospital has recorded three incidents of death emanating from poisonous generator fume and urged the media to create awareness on the dangers of inhalation of generator fume.
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...